‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Today was a day when my friend pointed out that cell group's original purpose was to do bible study and therefore our cell group time should be bible study. I brought my eyebrows together for a moment. I can't say it is wrong but there was that reluctance to let it be. Granted that just having dinner for cell group time might be too wasted, it seemed like I found my friend's point on the other extreme. Yet I find it extreme and true.
Generally, Christians should have no objections that their lives are to be lived with willing obedience to God, according to His word. The issue would seem to be in the proportion of it. So ... can we do bible study each time we meet up as a group ? Can't group leaders exercise their freedom to plan something meaningful without having to do a bible study ?
Then it dawned on me that perhaps our/mine appetite/thirst for God and His word is not that much. Perhaps I prize the more fun times I could have had if I did not do the bible study. And yea, bonding can take place through a bible study. This might sound simple but I hope for the rest that it will sink in. I hope this will not drive others away from the fellowship but make them excited. Wondering when it will be where I can see people coming to the bible text with enthusiasm and seriously delighted in studying more about God. A group of people not settling for just fast food and small bites of spiritual food. New eyes and heart to encounter God through the text - as his word is alive.
No comments:
Post a Comment