Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A daunting thought

Recalled the recent sunday school lesson I had. What was covered was that though niceness seemed to be what many people look for, it is not the pre-requisite to heaven but faith in the Son of God. It was also brought out that a person's niceness is a gift from God. But it occurred to me that it could seem to be a curse if we deceive ourselves that niceness is enough, that we think that are good enough.

There is also the issue about progress from a starting point. Everyone has different starting points. And the question is - despite your degree of niceness, is there improvement ? Do I find myself more Christ-like, not merely becoming nicer (by outward actions) but seeing my life get transformed in even the smallest and most subtle ways ? What if I am just a nice guy with no Christ-like progress ?

That's a very daunting thought.

No comments: