Thursday, April 10, 2014

That session last Saturday

I led a sharing session last saturday during church choir time.The objective I set was to engage the participants to think, slightly incline their thoughts towards Good Friday.  I crafted the sharing questions like this. They were crafted to ease into the introduction an unpolished song I wrote two years back.



This Life Is Not My Own lyrics

Verse 1:
Jesus Christ, Son of God, showed his love for us.
While we were still in sin, He came to earth and gave His life.  [1]
The Word became flesh, rescued us from death.
The blood He shed on the cross covered our sins.

Chorus1:
This life's not my own.
This life's not my own.
I was bought as a price. [2]
This life is not my own.
Deny yourselves and take up the cross.
Follow Jesus now and live for His glory. [3]

Verse 2:
Jesus prayed on the Mount of Olives.
He was overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. [4]
In anguish He prayed.
His sweat was like blood. [5]
In our struggles against sin have we shed blood? [6]

Chorus2:
This life's not my own.
This life's not my own.
I was bought as a price. [2]
Not my will but His be done. [7]
Deny yourselves and take up the cross.
Follow Jesus now and live for His glory.

Bridge:
For Christ's love compels us because we are convinced that
One died for all and therefore all died.
And He died for all, that
those who live no longer live for himself
But for Him who died for us and rose again. [8]

Chorus3:
This life's not my own.
This life's not my own.
I was bought as a price. [2]
By God's grace I've been set free
Deny yourselves and take up the cross.
Follow Jesus now (X3)
And live for His glory.


[1] Romans 5:8
[2] 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
[3] Matthew 16:24
[4] Matthew 26:38
[5] Luke 22:44
[6] Hebrews 12:4
[7] Luke 22:42
[8] 2 Cor 5:14-17


It's a kind of sharing I have never done before. I was glad that I did not say more than I needed to about my song. In the spirit of this song I wrote, it would be ironic to introduce this song to draw glory to myself. While consciously trying to steer my motivation from "showing off", I had to remind myself that I wanted to bless others through the sharing of this unpolished song and hope it will draw them closer to God, the very purpose my church choir has and will always be. (Unpolished or polished it still can be used. )

It was a memorable moment, though there is nothing extraordinary there, only people and a piece of work accomplished by the grace of God. His grace made everything possible.

No comments: