Thursday, April 10, 2014

Immersive Experience

Read an article today. It was written by a change which chose to do something unconventional for Good Friday. (read http://www.christianitytoday.com/le/2007/february-online-only/cln70219.html)

It pointed out that "those filling the pews every Sunday may be full of information about God, and they may be trained to obey God, but without an imagination enraptured by God, they will be powerless to live the life he's called them to. They simply cannot imagine living any differently than the culture around them.

Even a casual reading of the Sermon on the Mount reveals that the imagination plays a central role. Jesus shows that sins like anger, pride, greed, and lust germinate in the spiritual soil of one's imagination. Without significant re-cultivation and sanctification of the imagination, led by God's Spirit, a disciple will be incapable of weeding out sin and living obediently. Oswald Chambers knew that if your imagination of God is starved, then when you come up against difficulties, you have no power, you can only endure in darkness."

I also listened to Pastor Timothy Keller's sermon entitled "Beholding the Love of God". He mentioned that to know God is to experience God and His truth in a way which overflows to every other part of you. There needs to be a process from knowing truth to beholding truth.

What if imagination can help us to behold truth? What if we immersed ourselves through imagination in the four gospels not as a reader but as an onlooker of the events which were recorded in there? I believe that those who actually did so known God at a deeper level and their experience can touch many others.

And I also suspect that those works (which are presented from the first person perspective) are results of the authors' immersion to events/truth in the bible.

e.g.
And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain—
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me? (extracted from the hymn And Can It Be)

Poem (At the cross)
http://engageworship.org/ideas/A_poem_for_Good_Friday

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.  (extracted from the hymn Amazing Grace)

No comments: