I took a mental health module this semester.
It briefly tackled myths like these ; People with mental illness are violent and dangerous. People with mental illness are poor and/or less intelligent.
It helped me to learn to see mental illness like any other health problem and learn more about the illness so we can understand why the person behaves strangely.
By being exposed to the content of this module, I was able to empathize and have greater compassion for the mentally unwell.
It reminded me that every stage of life comes with challenges, whether you are part of a family, young or old.
The recovery process of these group of people are dependent on not only good mental health professionals but also dependent on family/relationships and the society at large.
As I was reading up on the mental health issues, I can't help but see that many things are very interconnected. What parents do or don't do will affect the child's development and future behavior. How responsible media reporting on suicide should be in place. How disorders can cause other issues. And more importantly, mental health issues is not a one dimensional problem. The mental and physical health are interconnected as well.
This drew my attention to the Great Physician who said , "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners".
Interestingly, WHO said that health is “not merely the absence of disease but a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being”. And by that statement, not many are healthy.
In ways more than one, some of the sick realizes their need for a cure/treatment. And hopefully all the sick seek for their cure/treatment in the relevant aspects.
No comments:
Post a Comment