Friday, January 10, 2014

Love, love

Read an article from http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/love-is-not-a-verb

The first question which came to my mind was "Does it matter whether love is a verb or a noun? Because for this word I know it as both."

Notably there are many songs which wrote about love.

"Love is all that I can give to you..."
"Love is a verb..."
"If love could be a verb maybe I'm just a little misinformed..."

Not sure if you noticed the subheadings.

Love So Amazing, So Divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all
(the lyrics of another song)

This article helped me to reflect on whether I really love people. If love is the overflow of joy in God that gladly meets the needs of others, do I have it? 1 Cor 13 emphasized that if love is not the motive behind your actions, then it is not meaningful in God's eyes.

"Anything that looks like love that we do for others — being patient, kind, not boastful or irritable or resentful, giving away our possessions, even martyrdom (1 Corinthians 13:4-5, 3) — that isn’t done for God’s glory and with a desire that others may taste and see that God is good (Psalm 34:8) is not true love. Godless love is a hollow shell, a love that has lost its soul. Godless love is sin (Romans 14:23)."

What if I am just going through the motion but not motivated by love? It will affect the people around me - how much of God they will witness or experience.

Oh God, help me to dive deep, to pursue love. Hold my mind’s attention. Wake my heart’s affection. Speak for your glory and my holy joy.

No comments: