Sunday, March 21, 2010

Simple is not simple

" I don't want to lead an army life! I just want to lead a simple life!"
- This is a part of the song I used to sing when I am in NS.

It doesn't take long for one to realise that leading a simple life is actually not that simple. The Discipline of simplicity is probably one which is hard to embrace. Perhaps it's because of the thinking that the abstract idea is almost as elusive as pursuing the riches of the world.

The freedom that God gave us enables us to embrace this simplicity but often we chose to complicate matters. We fail to see what are our wants and what are our needs. We fail to see how blessed we are, knowing that to a certain extent that the blessed are the uncool - people who are not chasing after the pleasures of the world and simply be who they are (with Christ), even if it means letting others know how boring they are.

Let us learnt from King David, to simply trust God for all things.

Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
Israel, hope in the Lord from this time forth and forever. (Psalms 131)

No comments: