Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Holy Communion on 2.2.14

Yesterday I was reading http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/don-t-miss-the-true-bread
The contents of it were flashed-back like frames playing in a film.

A God providing bread and draw their attention to the need of a bread of a different nature.
Eating the bread means believing in Christ.
Drinking the wine means believing in Christ.

The Holy communion celebrates and proclaims belief in a God who shared (and shed) His life with those he had mercy on so that we may know how to love, be invited to come and die (= deny ourselves) and find that life can be so much more abundant when we place our deepest longings and desires on a God who would not fail to deliver and would be faithful to keep us in His watch.

That's not all.

The parable of the wedding banquet (Matthew 22:1-14) also flashed-back in my mind.
That I am one of the invited ones have the opportunity to commune with with Him.
That if I am to come before Him, I need to come before him with proper clothing (on the basis of Christ's righteousness and not anything else).

There was a tinge of sadness as I recalled Matthew 22:14.
 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”

It drew me to the thought that it could be God's idea of saying this - that not everyone attending church are chosen. I could think of at least one person who was physically present for Holy Communion but still carries the pride of life with him before God. Having read Matthew 24 (stating that there will be a time with increased wickedness and because of that "the love of most will grow cold, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved") earlier, I was called to attention to the fate of those who actually and really don't believe or follow Christ. 

May God impart salvation to these people and redeem this group of people that one day they may feast with Christ with glorified bodies, fully satisfied with God.

No comments: