Saturday, November 2, 2013

Hermaneutics

is the theory of text interpretation, especially the interpretation of biblical texts. 

As I went through a few sessions learning about it, it was interesting see how text can be interpreted from different angles. Certain questions start to surface. I was drown by what I consider 'scholastic content' and question myself...


If not having a methodology to interpret text ought to be an issue for concern.

If my denomination does not actually affect how I interpret the text.
If I am not taking the text seriously, taking time to study them and interpret them on a more regular basis.

Someone mentioned that our devotional way of reading the bible has affected our ability to interpret the text. I think this is particularly true for me. By losing the ability or having practice to interpret text, some Christians might find themselves not being a witness to non-believers in explaining what the bible meant (or rather what we think it meant) when they said certain things.


I was brought up with Sunday school lessons which gave me the impression that things were rather clear cut and it seems like we can derived meaning from the text rather easily (through our reference to commentaries and logical thinking) but now I think I was really naive and narrow minded there. 


I interpreted this as God shaking me hard here. And right now when I see bible passages my brain will be in a state of paralysis. Bearing in mind the variety of ways one can interpret the text can change the outcome of a study is daunting and I hope I can move on to look for answers to more questions.


No comments: