Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oh joy, where are you?

There is this puzzling relationship between joy and pain. Having joy does not mean that pain is non-existent.Yet if I am only feeling pain and not so much of joy, is there an issue?

I always wonder ... when Christians gather to do something big, if some unpleasant elements will surely surface. From my experience those situations tend to happen, because we have expectations of one another (and project those expectations on others which they might not meet) and we have different working style. I was afraid that I would be overbearing, impatient and too direct. There comes a point where I can't smile and pretend everything is all right. Things are going as planned yet these complicated issues seem to rob me of my joy and get frustration/pain.


Oh joy, where are you? Am I closing my heart from you?


To go to God for happiness is to confess that without him we are frustrated, depressed, joyless creatures. What could honor God more than to acknowledge that in him alone can enduring joy be found? 


... one barometer of spiritual maturity is joy. I saw this in the New Testament when I noticed how inextricably faith and joy are united. Paul says to the Philippians, "I know that I shall remain and continue with you all for your progress and joy of faith" (1:25). The "joy of faith" is the joy that thrives when we trust the promises of God. 


Help me to find joy in all that I do, Lord.

No comments: