Friday, July 6, 2012
The kindness of a strange old lady
I was instructed to relay a certain message to an old lady in-charge of printing certain important papers in court. It appears she is often in a room by herself and recently cannot complete her daily work without meeting obstruction.
The moment she met me and knew who sent me there, she told me some of her usual work problems, of which I didn't know enough to solve. Somehow it discouraged me that I am not much of a help to her, that as an intern there is not much I could do. And worse still, it seems that my superiors were not keen to interact with her.
As she rant about her problems today, she recalled that I was just an intern and 'politely' chased me away. I could sense that she appreciated my kindness to attempt to help her and at the same time, withholding her 100% of wrath as I am only an intern. Perhaps she understood that an intern should not bear the weight of a permanent working staff and the harsher expectations in work.
For that I am thankful, though I may not be feel useful.
I feel less down, though I know I can't be more helpful. =]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment