Friday, July 25, 2014
Still able to use mandarin - something to thank God for
Tonight was the moment where I got rather uncomfortable. I was with a group of Christians sharing what has been going since the Taiwan conference we attended. A pastor said that I was the second to send in my afterthoughts of the conference and it was done in in mandarin. Suddenly, someone assumed my mandarin was good and started guessing which JC I came from. The reputable JCs were mentioned and I shook my head... all the way until they guessed Innova Junior College. It is one of the youngest JCs but I actually did not take pride that I graduated from there. It was uncomfortable unraveling that I came from a not so well known JC (though it was a JC) and the strangest thing is this - that the JC I was at had little to do with my average mandarin speaking/typing abilities. It was where I was brought up - QCMC instead. When that came to my mind, I guess it is something to thank God for. I might have severed my ties with mandarin and really become more of an English man if I did not choose to continue going to QCMC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment