Sunday, July 28, 2013

What's the point of saying what others already know?

This question comes back to me a several times.
It always crosses my mind during/after I plan a sharing of some sort.

After years of being in church I wonder if many people have thoughts of  "yea...I've heard of this and that.
Familiar passages gets revisited time after time and I wonder if there reaches a moment when one turns deaf/off the moment they can detect them coming up. Of course, I know that someone would want to learn something new rather than to hear the same content (even after an interval of a month).

Of course, one way is to use new ways to convey that same old truth.
(and that's what the pastors have been doing right?)
Then I saw this sentence -
 "Our heads learn faster than our hearts, and that means danger."

Knowing in the head does not mean knowing in the heart. And that means danger?
We can know (in the head) like how evil spirits in the know about Jesus. But whether we have applied what we know - in obedience to God is another thing.

After hearing Jesus' message on the parable of the dishonest manager, it was mentioned that "the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all these things, and they ridiculed him." (Luke 16:14)

It suggested that their master was money, not God.
But hey! Aren't they the Pharisees who knew the scripture well? They can end up loving money instead of God?

I think they did not know God's truth in the heart, seriously assessing where they are in their walk with God.
Here the danger is that we might end up like the Pharisees.

So in the end, after reminding other's of God's truth, I cannot afford to not ask them to engage God's truth with their hearts. I guess that's why I try to push for reflection style sharing. I am just wondering if the next upcoming thought will be "but ... I reflected on this before already what!"

Haha. Oh well...


No comments: