Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Courageous

It has been quite a while since I have watched the movie, Courageous.
I was very impressed by the standards of fatherhood set by the movie and on the other hand, disappointed by how (I think) many fathers fall short of this standard. Grooming boys and girls to be men and women of God and being a God(and bible) -Centric father may be just an ideal far from reality.

Perhaps I am expecting too much of the fathers today. Yet it upsets me, how it seems that raising the next generation of godly men and women rests on their shoulders and how certain adults(me included) are suffering from the effects of unhelpful parenting.


The video above highlighted the 'ban' problem, a phenomenon that boys are extending their period in adolescence such that when they have reached adulthood, they still feel unprepared to be men. I believe this problem is not only a problem in America but also Singapore (churches). And yes, I believe reparenting (mentioned in the video) is much needed.

Parenting and mentoring should be present and go hand in hand. Unfortunately, personally being deficient, find myself spiritually inadequate in walking alongside juniors and bring them closer towards God (though I have that desire to help). The only good thing about this struggle is that it spurs me to grow in the Lord and be further equipped by God's word.

John Piper: “If you live gladly to make others glad in God, your life will be hard, your risks will be high, and your joy will be full.”

It takes courage to face the risks. So are we ready to face it?

No comments: