Thursday, August 26, 2010

The walk down the memory lane

In the afternoon, I took a walk down the memory lane, along Champion's Way, with a few of my friends, towards Innova Junior College. There were a few changes but most of my tutors are still present. It's quite different going there as an alumni (J5), without all the pressure of studying.

I did not forget to visit the tutor in the computer lab N1-1. Through the small transparent part of the door, there was a white haired figure I recognised. In every visit he will never fail to bring up his constant worries, his current batch of students. His subject is not value adding in the school and it is not due to his ability and (rich) experience but the learning attitude of his students. The degrading performence of each batch must have been discouraging for him though he said he enjoyed teaching his students. His age caught up with him and hence he will be retiring soon. Somehow, I recalled him sharing about how he entered the computing sphere to teach.

It began with a selection of teachers from a pool of mathematics teachers. They underwent several stages of shortlisting, testing and training. In early years, diagnostic (or cognitive) testing were in place to filter out those we are more suitable to study computing. So ending up as a computing student was a priviledge then. Now unfortunately, students take learning opportunities for granted. Perhaps it is when education becomes more affordable that its' worth (seemingly) devaluates.

"I happy then I study. I not happy then I don't study. "
"I happy then I do my homework. I not happy I don't touch my homework."

I can't help but think that some students are holding this type of mentality. Granted that some may simply not be the studying type, are they even keen in learning anything?

Some are still dreaming and they need to wake up in reality. They need an awakening.

No comments: