Wednesday, December 9, 2009

God the Almighty, working on Evan

I am always impressed by people who can shed light on the things of God, with humor, even though it maybe subtle. (Probably because I can't do it myself.)

While I disagree that Noah and the flood has got little to do with God's wrath and righteouness, there are some things worth mentioning here, other than Gen 6:14. Here goes...

1. Prayer is a powerful tool.
I think prayer was designed for people who knows they are in need of God's grace. Humbly, we should come before the Lord because we know that without Christ, we are nothing and that life without God will not make any sense or meaning to us. Prayer is a helpline but it works only when you seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. It includes acknowledging God as the ruler of our lives, that he reigns over all. It includes knowing him as the Almighty God, as the salvation for mankind. It includes knowing his will and wanting his will to be done, ultimately.

2. Men looks at the appearance, God looks at the heart and works with it.
'God' did not choose Evan to complete the ark because he looks successful, handsome, happy and powerful. 'He' chose Evan because through Evan's prayer and his 'omniscience' , 'he' saw that Evan has this burden to change the world. Since 'God' looked at the heart, 'he' worked in Evan's heart while changing his appearance for the worse (in whose eyes?).

Like my sister said, the response to change is irrational and hence we see Evan getting 'worked up' over his long beard and later long robe. Towards the end, I can infer that his appearance was no longer a concern, but rather the work of God being his priority. Here I see that changing the world starts from changing the one who has that desire.


3. Praying for x -> Praying for opportunity to exercise x,
where x is related to good character.


If you pray for patience, will God give you patience or an opportunity to be patient? If you pray for courage, will God give you courage or an opportunity to be courageous? If you pray for love, will God zap you with a warm and fuzzy feeling or give you an
opportunity to love?

4. Working is a test of faith.

Evan had two choices. One - to continue with the ark. Two - to live his own life. When he chose to continue with the ark, he felt pain in putting parts together. Contrast that with a life as a congressman. It's nice. It's cool. But Evan devoted his life to constuct the ark. The task given to him came with a trial and it tested his faith. When it is completed, it became a work of faith.

5. You can never flee from God.

Psalm 139:7-10
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.

I guess one of the more unusual reminders here is to accept the way God wants you to work, no matter how ancient that method is. When he says, make and ark out of gopherwood. Our first reaction might be somewhat like Evan's.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS? You've got to be kidding me"

And well, it won't take an eternity for you to realise that when it comes to work, I think the almighty living God is 'dead' serious about it.

No comments: