Tuesday, September 14, 2010

BREAK OUT of the plasticine

Yesterday I came across this interesting article. The term 'plasticine men' was brought up. They are people who used to have passionate drive towards life but later got brow-beaten out of shape by life and became numb towards life, having no dreams, interests or ideals, and do not feel much pain or joy. This term was more for white collared workers because it has the additional 'job-burn-out' characteristic but I believe a certain characteristics of a plasticine man can be seen in other groups of people.

"古语说司空见惯,见得多了,便成了习惯,习惯使人失去自己的敏锐,变得没有任何感觉我想,我就是一块习惯性的橡皮,这也许是所有橡皮心理因素中最可怕的一个。" (extracted from http://baike.baidu.com/view/755614.htm)

As much as I agree with the concept of which the more we learn, the less we know, I think there is a loss of this reality. In the information age which we find ourselves drowning, we also find ourselves getting numbed with the waves of data crashing in. Common knowledge lost its' power to instill awe in people. Habitual learning becomes mechanic - not that much due to curiosity.

"How different are we who have grown used to it, who have become jaded with a satiety of wonder... Secularism, materialism and the intrusive presence of things have put out the light in our souls and turned us into a generation of zombies." - (adapted from A.W Tozer, The Knowledge Of The Holy)

Lord, if we are in the slumber of numbness, awaken us to see that we were meant to live for so much more. If we have lost ourselves, please find us. If there is not more light in our souls and are not regenerating, may you be our light and renew our mind.

I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:24-26)

No comments: